Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Caribbean Cruise: Costa Maya, Mexico

We were at sea the evening of day one and all of day two. Those who know me, know that I can't swim a lick! Imagine being a non-swimmer and surrounded on all sides by the Gulf of Mexico's inky blue fathoms:


Yikes! My primal fear of water was not allayed by the ship's safety drill requiring all passengers to muster in life vests. But soon enough, I became accustomed to the gentle rocking of the ship, and my comfort level was greatly increased when I discovered the first-rate pina coladas at the tiki bar on top deck!

Day three found us in Costa Maya, Mexico:



This port took a direct hit from a hurricane a few years ago and is still recovering. But the port facility has been repaired beautifully and provides plenty of places to dine and shop:


The HIGHLIGHT of Costa Maya was our excursion to the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. We boarded a bus for the one-hour trip across coastal marshes to the ruins, tucked deep within a rain forest. The serenity of this ancient and sacred place is awe-inspiring:




Son-in-law Pat, daughter Andrea, and Hubby listened while our very knowledgable tour guide, Diana Garcia, discussed the Mayan temples:


Hubby and I felt a bit like Indiana Jones when we scaled this wall -- It's steeper than it looks:


-- But we made it! Here we are at the top:

Too soon, it was time to return to port and board our ship, the Norwegian Spirit:

Farewell to Costa Maya:

Next stop -- Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post and Nice pictures. I would like right now to be there. I'm planning next summer to take my family to Caribbean thorough ECT for a 7 days. I'm shore it will be perfect vacation for us. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete