Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bird of Paradise


We're a week away from Halloween. Should my Bird of Paradise be blooming this time of year, when I'm thinking of chrysanthemums, football homecoming games, and jack-o-lanterns?

I raised these plants from seeds many years ago, and brought them with me when we moved twice. After each move, the plants took four to five years to acclimate to their new surroundings. Unfailingly, they bloomed the fifth year.

This fresh bloom really suggests its namesake

and this one looks like a phoenix with blazing wings.

This bloom is ready to burst.

My garden keeps its own rhythm, which usually has nothing to do with the calendar. No matter -- I'll just be quiet and enjoy!


Have a splendid day, all!

1 comment:

  1. Aren't these amazing flowers Suzie~ What a treat to have them blooming in your garden, enjoy!! I love you~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete