Thursday, April 4, 2013

Zapp Hall, Y'all!



FROM



If you've never been to Central Texas in springtime, you must come visit us at this time of the year, before the sun gets so hot that even the rattlesnakes wish they were in Alaska. Seriously, Texas is most gorgeous at this time of the year, when the trees are greening, the bluebonnets are washing the hillsides in shades of cobalt and heaven, and newborn calves are cavorting in the fields. I love living here -- can you tell? This is also the time of year when antique vendors dust off their wares and descend on Texas. So, for our somewhat annual trip to the region this past Easter weekend, Mr. Slipper Moon and I slipped on our cowboy boots and headed to Warrenton, site of the Zapp Hall Antique Show.

Zapp Hall is the preview to the huge semi-annual show in Round Top (which is going on now, as I sit here and type). This was my first visit and I could not believe the acres of antiques and just generally good junk to be discovered!

There were bathtubs for little cowpokes (I can see flowers planted in one of these, placed in my garden!)

and bathtubs for taller cowboys


all kinds of transportation, from this cute little airplane pedal car in perfect condition


to a bicycle riksha


to Mr. Slipper Moon's dream yellow street rod


and this hot pink "Junk Gypsy" set of wheels


to MY dream -- a Gypsy vardo (I want one of these someday!)


That terrific Gypsy vardo lured me into the adjoining tent which held terrific wares

especially this pink floral trunk. I have one similar -- Wonder if I can make mine look this cute?


On the quirkier side, we found this armadillo made from tin roofing material


and this gorgeous copper art


and more letters galore.


By that time, we were feeling as disheveled as that pile of letters and our boot soles were wearing thin, so we headed to Fayetteville for a bite to eat and then made my pilgrimage to the Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange,

a town made famous by the play and movie Best Little Whore House in Texas ("Lord have mercy on our souls!")

and a drive through pretty bluebonnet-covered hillsides.



Y'all come see us, you hear? And if you head to Warrenton and Round Top for the miles of antiques, wear comfortable shoes and not cowboy boots, or better yet, bring a golf cart. My feet still haven't recovered!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, I was thinking about you the other day. Looks like a really good time. I love the Willie Nelson and Emylou Harris duet with the Blue bonnets in the chorus, can't remember the title now, but wonderful song. And I think I have seen The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas on stage about 10 times, the first time was off broadway in '77 or 78. take care and enjoy your spring!

    ReplyDelete