Friday, August 20, 2010

Too hot to eat anything but salads

Today in a fit of weather-denial (my mental state addled by the heat) I made a dish called "Skillet Chicken Ole" for lunch. The combination of Rotel tomatoes and cayenne pepper, in a hot dish served on a bed of steaming rice, had DH and I sweating from just looking at it -- waaay too much heat for lunch in Texas, in August, when the heat index is above 100 degrees. It was a good dish that I won't prepare again until we get some cool Autumn nights.

A more sensible lunch was one I made a few days ago:
Sliced Bartlett pears grilled and drizzled with honey, on a bed of romaine lettuce and glazed pecans, dressed with raspberry vinaigrette -- A very satisfying lunch on a very hot day! Next time I think I'll add crumbled goat cheese. Yum.

I watched an Ina Garten rerun yesterday. She tossed diced watermelon, diced feta cheese, arugula and mint leaves, with a citrus vinaigrette. Yum again. You can get a citrus vinaigrette recipe (like Ina's) here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cooking-live/spring-salad-of-watermelon-watercress-and-scallions-with-a-shallot-citrus-vinaigrette-recipe/index.html
I'm a confirmed salad eater until this heat wave breaks. Anyone have a good recipe or salad idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment